St Michael’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Support Program
St Michael’s College proudly recognises that our community is built on the lands of the Kombumerri clan of the Yugambeh people.
In 2017, we welcome Stephen Chadburn as our Indigenous Support Worker to join Miss Janakaha Reid (Indigenous Teacher Aide).
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander studies are embedded within St Michael’s College curriculum, but we also offer many other co-curricular and Indigenous cultural programs and support for our Indigenous and non-Indigenous students and their families including:
- Cultural excursions
- Recognition of Traditional Custodians
- Indigenous staff members – Indigenous Liaison Officer and Teacher Aide
- Reconciliation Week and NAIDOC Week celebrations
- Indigenous family BBQ and Information evening
- Applications for QATSIF scholarships for eligible Indigenous students
- Year 9 Indigenous Spirituality Day with elders
- Visits from elders and respected Indigenous community members
- Brisbane Catholic Education Indigenous Graduation celebration
- Connections with further education and employment programs and scholarships
- Support from Brisbane Catholic Education’s Indigenous Support Officers
If you would like any further information on St Michael’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs, please contact the College.